As businesses continue to search for more successful and cost-effective ways to manage their fueling operations, diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) delivery has become a popular option. DEF is a non-hazardous solution that is required by vehicles with selective catalytic reduction (SCR) systems to reduce harmful emissions. In this blog, we will discuss the meaning of DEF delivery and how it works, as well as the benefits of using a professional company for DEF delivery.
What does DEF Delivery Mean?
DEF delivery refers to the transportation and delivery of diesel exhaust fluid to businesses that require it to operate their SCR-equipped vehicles. DEF is a solution made of urea and deionized water that is injected into the exhaust stream of diesel engines to reduce emissions. The use of DEF is required by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to meet emissions standards, making it an essential component for businesses that operate diesel-powered vehicles.
How does DEF Delivery Work?
DEF delivery is a simple process that involves the transportation of DEF from the supplier to the business location. However, it involves several steps best handled by fuel delivery experts.
- The first step is the sourcing and production of DEF. DEF is made up of 32.5% urea and 67.5% deionized water, and it must meet the ISO 22241 standard to ensure its quality and consistency. DEF is typically produced in large quantities and stored in bulk tanks at production facilities.
- Once the DEF is produced and stored in bulk tanks, it is ready for delivery to businesses that require it to operate their SCR-equipped vehicles. When a business orders DEF delivery, a specialized truck equipped with a pump and hose is dispatched to transport the DEF to the business location. The DEF is transported in bulk, typically in tanks ranging from 500 to 4,000 gallons, depending on the business’s needs.
- Upon arrival at the business location, the DEF delivery truck will park near the DEF storage tank, which is usually located near the diesel fuel storage tanks. The pump and hose on the truck will be used to transfer the DEF from the truck’s tank to the business’s storage tank. The transfer process typically takes only a few minutes, and the driver will monitor the flow rate and volume to ensure accuracy.
- It’s essential to note that DEF is sensitive to temperature and must be stored properly to maintain its quality. The storage tank for DEF must be made of materials that won’t contaminate the DEF, such as high-density polyethylene (HDPE) or stainless steel. It’s also important to store DEF in a location that is protected from direct sunlight, heat sources, and freezing temperatures. DEF has a shelf life of about one year when stored at temperatures between 12°F and 86°F, so proper storage is critical to ensure that the DEF remains usable and effective.
- In addition to bulk delivery, businesses can also opt for smaller containers of DEF, such as 2.5-gallon jugs or 55-gallon drums, which are typically used for smaller applications or for refilling DEF dispensers. These smaller containers can be delivered directly to the business location, or they can be picked up from a supplier’s retail location.
Reliable and Efficient DEF Deliveries From the Experts
Using a professional fuel delivery company for DEF delivery offers numerous benefits for businesses. Professional mobile fueling companies have the necessary equipment and expertise to ensure the safe and efficient delivery of high-quality DEF. Additionally, they can provide customized delivery schedules, competitive pricing, and reliable service, which can improve the operational efficiency and productivity of your business across the board.
Secure Your DEF Supply with Jacobus Energy’s Reliable Delivery Services
At Jacobus Energy, we understand the importance of reliable fuel delivery services for businesses. We offer comprehensive DEF deliveries to help businesses stay compliant with emissions standards and improve their operational efficiency. With over 100 years of experience in the fuel services industry, we have the expertise and resources to provide customized delivery options and competitive pricing to meet the specific needs of each business we serve. Contact us today to request a quote and learn more about our DEF services.